This is one of my all time favorite recipes.
I’m not a big fan of frozen dinners, but I do recall, back when I was in high school, my mother used to buy Stouffer’s Chicken Divan, and it was really good. In fact, it was awesome. I don’t know if they still make it or not, but I’ve tweaked a couple of Campbell’s Soup recipes to come up with my own version, and I think I’ve come pretty close. It’s easy to prepare, and tasty. And, best of all, it uses ingredients most of us probably already have. Enjoy.
(inspired by Campbell’s Soup recipes)
- 2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli (thawed)
- 2 cups cooked noodles
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or cheddar cheese blend
- 1 small can fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
Chop broccoli, (if using fresh), and prepare noodles according to package directions. Clean chicken breasts thoroughly and cut into small cubes. Saute in a skillet until they are cooked all the way through. Remove from heat.
In a 2-quart casserole dish stir milk, melted butter, and cream of mushroom soup. Add pepper and canned mushrooms, if desired. Add broccoli, cooked noodles and cooked chicken, mix well. Top with generous layer of grated cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in 350°oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top layer is brown and sauce is bubbling.