The other day I came across a couple cans of diced tomatoes I bought by accident as they had diced green chilies in them, and I always by the plain tomatoes.
Just like Rosie, I don’t throw food out. I look at it as a happy accident and a chance to try something new and different. So, after browsing a few online recipes as inspiration, I came up with my own creation, and it’s so good I’ll have to make it again.
QUICK AND EASY TACO SOUP
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (14.5 oz), OR
- 2 cans plain diced tomatoes with one small can diced green chilies
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth or water
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet. Drain, and place in small stockpot. Add canned tomatoes, green chilies, corn, black beans and tomato sauce. Add beef broth or water and stir well. Add seasonings. Stir, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and simmer for approximately ten minutes. Top with broken tortilla chips and cheese, or with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.