Many of the recipes in this blog come straight from my mother’s kitchen. Every night she cooked us an amazing meal from scratch. And, every night, our family sat down at the dinner table together. Those are some of the happiest memories from my childhood
The following is one of my favorite dishes. And I make it just like my mother did.
MY MOTHER’S CLASSIC BEEF STROGANOFF
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds round steak or sirloin tips
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups sour cream*
- steamed white rice, brown rice, or noodles
Slice beef into small cubes and brown in a sauté pan over medium heat. If desired, add chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, and red wine. Once meat has browned all the way through add cream of mushroom soup. Stir mixture thoroughly and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. While meat is simmering cook rice or noodles according to package directions and serve with the meat mixture on top of the rice or noodles. Blend sour cream into meat mixture just prior to serving, or spoon a dollop or two of sour cream on top of the meat mixture immediately after plating. Serve.
* Plain yogurt can be used as a substitute for sour cream.