I experimented with several different zucchini bread recipes back when I was growing zucchini in my backyard garden. I’d tweak this and add that, and this is the one I liked the best. It includes a box of cake mix which helps save prep time. However, batter tends to be thick and heavy, so I highly recommend using a KitchenAid or other heavy duty mixer.
By the way, in Rosie’s day people grew victory gardens, so I think she would have approved.
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BUNDT CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (4 ounces or 1 stick)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 package of cake mix with pudding in the mix *
- 1 medium zucchini — grated
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 325F. (350F for a light colored pan).
Place softened butter in KitchenAid mixing bowl and beat the butter until light. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the sour cream, add the cinnamon and mix until all ingredients are well blended. Slowly add in cake mix, a little bit at a time, and mix thoroughly. (Batter will thicken considerably as cake mix is added.) Fold in the zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts.
Spoon the mixture into the bundt pan and gently blend mixture around the pan until it’s level. Firmly tap the bundt pan on the counter top several times so that air bubbles can work their way to the top. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cake will be done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on cooling rack for 10 minutes, then place cake plate on top of bundt pan and invert. Allow cake to finish cooling. Sprinkle powdered sugar, if desired.
Variations: Use peanut butter or white chocolate flavored chips with a chocolate or devil’s food cake mix.
* Most cake mixes, such as Pillsbury, Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker, have pudding in the mix. White, classic yellow or devil’s food are recommended for theis recipe.
Rosie’s Riveting Recipes is available on Amazon and Barnesandnoble.com.